Sunday January 21, 2018

News Feeds:

What building codes is the township using?

The township adopted the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC). The series of codes included within the UCC are:

  • International Building Code 2009
  • International Building Code 2012 Chapter 11 & Appendix E - ICC A117.1 2009 Accessibility Code
  • International Residential Code 2009
  • NEC Electrical Coe 2008 NFPA 70
  • International Existing Building Code 2009
  • International Energy Conversation Code 2009
  • International Fire Code 2009
  • International Fuel Gas Code 2009
  • International Mechanical Code 2009
  • International Plumbing Code 2009

What project requires a permit?

Many different projects require a permit. New construction, renovations, other alterations to your home and even inflatable pools with filters require permits. If you have a project planned, please contact the township office Monday-Friday during business hours. Telephone: 215-855-0900.

How do I apply for a permit?

You can click on the link Documents & Forms and download the appropriate permit. In addition, all permits are available at the Hatfield Township Municipal Building during regular business hours.

As a homeowner, can I perform the work myself?

Yes, after completing the permit and receiving all approvals from the township, you may begin your project.

What are the requirements for a contractor to work in the township?

All contractors involved in new home construction or commercial work (Contractor, Electrician, Plumber & Mechanical Contractor) must register with the township. All Plumbers, Electricians & Mechanical Contractors must hold a current master’s license. The registration form can be obtained on the link Documents & Forms. Registration with the State of Pennsylvania is required for contractors involved in home improvement projects.

I am selling my home; does the township require a resale inspection?

Yes, a Certificate of Occupancy for residential inspection is required prior to the settlement date. The form can be obtained on the link Documents & Forms. The cost for a residential U & O is $60.00 and inspection appointments are made within 30 days of settlement. Non-residential U & O fees are based on the building’s square footage.

How many smoke alarms must I have in my home?

One smoke alarm is required per floor level, including your basement, and in all bedrooms.

Do I need a permit for a fence or shed?

Yes, this is a common question. If you plan to erect a fence or shed, you can obtain all the details and permit at the link Documents & Forms or at the township office. Fences may be placed on the property line but cannot extend past the front visage of the home nor can they be taller than 6 feet in height. The sizing/fees of permissible sheds are determined by how the property is zoned. Please contact the Hatfield Township Zoning Officer for further zoning questions and concerns.

I want to change my basement to living space. Will I need an additional exit to the outside and is a permit required?

Yes, a building permit and electrical permit are needed and the building code requires a door or egress window to the outside of the dwelling in addition to the stairs from the upper floors.

How deep should my footings be?

Footings must be at least 36 inches below grade.

When building railings, what is the required spacing?

Railings for decks and other residential accessory structures should be at least 36 inches high and balusters should be no more than 4 inches apart.

What are the setbacks for buildings?

Setbacks are based per zoning district. To see a list of zoning districts and setbacks you may go to Township Departments: Building, Planning & Zoning and click on Hatfield Township Zoning Setbacks.

Do I need a fence when erecting or installing a swimming pool?

All swimming pools require fencing. Above ground pools may have either a self-locking gate around the top or your backyard must be fully enclosed by fencing. In ground pools must have a fence surrounding it or your backyard must be fully enclosed by fencing.

Do I need a license to do business in Hatfield Township?

Hatfield Township does not require licensing to do business within the township.

Where can I obtain a solicitation permit?

Solicitation permits may be obtained at the Hatfield Township Police Department, 2000 School Road, Hatfield, PA (215-855-0903).


Copyright © 2018. Hatfield Township.